48,000 without power a week after a deadly storm swept through Ontario and Quebec

A week after a strong wind and thunderstorm swept through Ontario and Quebec, just over 48,000 homes in the two provinces were still without power on Saturday.

A week after a strong wind and thunderstorm swept through Ontario and Quebec, just over 48,000 homes in the two provinces were still without power on Saturday.

At least 11 people were killed in last week’s storm and its aftermath as it toppled trees, destroyed power lines and caused heavy property damage.

In Ontario, Hydro One reported that more than 18,000 people were without power Saturday afternoon, mostly in the eastern part of the province.

Hydro Ottawa said 18,000 customers were still without power.

Hydro-Quebec, meanwhile, said there were just over 12,000 without power in the province, mostly in the Outaouais region in western Quebec, as well as in the Laurentians to the north. from Montreal.

All utilities noted that due to the severity of the damage repairs have taken longer than expected and some may take longer as they are in more remote areas that are cut off by debris, or the system has suffered significant damage.

Environment Canada said last weekend’s severe weather involved a derecho – a rare widespread windstorm associated with a line of thunderstorms – that developed near Sarnia, Ont., and moved southward. northeast across the province, ending in Quebec.

This report from The Canadian Press was first published on May 28, 2022.

The Canadian Press

Leave a Comment