Brussels: Terrifying moment, a woman narrowly escapes after being pushed in front of a train | World | News

A young man was filmed deliberately pushing a woman onto the tracks at Rogier metro station in Brussels around 7.45pm on Friday evening. CCTV footage shows the train stopping moments before the woman was injured. She was quickly helped out of the tracks by passers-by, according to STIB, the Brussels public transport company.

Guy Sablon, STIB spokesperson, told the Brussels Times: “The driver reacted very well but is very shocked, as is the victim.”

The victim and the subway driver were taken to hospital and returned home after receiving treatment.

The suspect has been arrested.

Brussels police spokeswoman Sarah Durant said: “Thanks to the dissemination of the images of the suspect within the police services, he was intercepted a few minutes later while he was in the De Brouckère metro station. “.

READ MORE: Expert predicts Emmanuel Macron will quit before losing election

Meanwhile, three Extinction Rebellion activists have been cleared over a 2019 stunt that saw them cause 77 minutes of disruption on a train in central London.

The Reverend Sue Parfitt, 79, Father Martin Newell, 54, and former university professor Philip Kingston, 85, were unanimously acquitted by an Interior Crown Court jury of London for obstructing the railway following their protest at Shadwell station on October 17, 2019.

Mr Kingston super-glued his hand to a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) train as Reverend Parfitt and Father Newell climbed onto the roof and said prayers for the planet, shortly before 7am.

The trio said they were strongly motivated by their Christian faith, while Mr Kingston said the future of his four grandchildren also prompted him to take part in the protest.

The verdict comes after four people were cleared of toppling the statue of slave trader Edward Colston in Bristol and dumping it in the harbour.

The bronze memorial to the 17th century figure was pulled down during a Black Lives Matter protest in Bristol on June 7, 2020, and those responsible were acquitted on January 5 after an 11-day trial in Bristol Crown Court.

And in April last year, six Extinction Rebellion protesters were cleared of causing criminal damage to Shell’s London headquarters despite the judge ordering jurors they had no defense in right.

Leave a Comment