Emergency services rush to downtown bridge for spectacular canal ‘rescue’

A main road in Manchester city center had to be closed after emergency services rushed to a bridge to report a ‘concern for wellbeing’, carrying out a spectacular canal rescue.

Footage from Oxford Street this evening, May 1, showed police, paramedics and firefighters at the scene of the bridge over the River Medlock, next to the Holiday Inn near Oxford Road station. the Manchester Evening News understands that a man had to be rescued from the canal below, with firefighters taking control of the rescue.

Footage from the scene showed members of various emergency services standing around one side of the bridge between the Revolution bar and the Holiday Inn, with a lift from one of the fire trucks lying above the road above the river, that the MEN understands that the crews had to use to access the channel above the high walls on either side of the bridge.

READ MORE: 14-year-old schoolboy arrested after Metrolink robbery

Oxford Street has been closed at the junction of Charles Street and Hulme Street, the corner where the Holiday Inn is located, the cordon extending towards Whitworth Street, where the Palace Theater is located. The incident centered around a small section of the street where it crossed the River Medlock.

An eyewitness at the scene told the MEN: “There were loads of police here before on the bridge and two fire trucks too, I didn’t see what happened but when I came out and saw them all here there was a guy in the channel. It was pretty scary, hope he’s okay.” Another said: ‘The emergency services were all there because they had to save a canal guy.

Greater Manchester Police confirmed the incident was a ‘welfare concern which has been concluded safely’, but were unable to provide updates on the status of the incident. male. The North West Ambulance Service has been contacted for further information.

A lifting crane was seen stretched over the bridge area

A Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: ‘At approximately 5pm on Sunday May 1, firefighters were called to assist police at an incident on Oxford Street in the city center from Manchester.

“Two fire engines from Manchester Central and Moss Side Fire Stations, alongside Ashton’s Technical Response Unit, were swiftly to the scene. Firefighters were present for about 50 minutes.

The road had reopened by 6:30 p.m., with traffic once again free to flow and the cordon completely removed from the scene.

Sign up for MEN’s email newsletters to get the latest on sports, news, current affairs and more by following this link

Leave a Comment