In Jeffrey Epstein’s secret deal, Prince Andrew’s sexual assault accuser won’t prosecute ‘other accused’

Prince Andrew, 61, has not been charged with criminal charges over the sex scandal.

New York:

Prince Andrew’s sexual assault accuser has agreed not to prosecute “other potential defendants” related to Jeffrey Epstein’s alleged sex crimes, according to a secret deal released on Monday that said royal hopes will convince a US judge to dismiss a legal action against him.

The once confidential document released by a New York court shows Virginia Giuffre agreed to drop her civil action against the late disgraced fund manager Epstein for $ 500,000 in 2009.

The 12-page settlement, reached in Florida, contains a provision that purports to protect “other potential defendants” from prosecution related to alleged sexual abuse by Epstein, who committed suicide in prison in 2019.

The clause takes effect “from the beginning of the world until the day of this release”, according to the agreement.

Andrew’s lawyers argue this means Giuffre’s US lawsuit against the prince should be dismissed, but his lawyers have insisted the deal is “irrelevant” and his civil action against the prince must be continued.

Giuffre alleges that Epstein loaned her out for sex with his wealthy and powerful associates, including Andrew, an allegation he has repeatedly and vigorously denied.

Her deal with Epstein says she will “forever free” any “other person or entity that may have been included as a potential defendant.”

Lawyers for Queen Elizabeth II’s second son will quote the deal during oral argument on Tuesday when they urge Judge Lewis Kaplan to drop the case.

Giuffre sued the British Royal Family for unspecified damages, alleging he sexually assaulted her in 2001 when she was 17 and a minor under US law.

Andrew, 61, has not been criminally charged.

Giuffre’s attorney, David Boies, said in a statement Andrew could not be protected by the deal because he “didn’t even know” at the time.

“The release is irrelevant to Ms Giuffre’s claim against Prince Andrew,” Boies said.

“He (Andrew) could not have been a ‘potential defendant’ in the case settled against Jeffrey Epstein both because he was outside the jurisdiction of Florida and because the case of the Florida involved federal claims to which it was not a party. “

Giuffre says Prince Andrew assaulted her at Epstein’s New York home and on his private island in the US Virgin Islands.

She alleges Andrew also sexually assaulted her at the London home of Ghislaine Maxwell, who was convicted last week of child sex trafficking for Epstein.

Maxwell doomed

Maxwell, who introduced Andrew to Epstein in the early 1990s, risks life behind bars after being convicted by New York jurors on five of the six charges she faced following a trial highly publicized one month.

Epstein died aged 66 in a Manhattan jail in 2019, in what the New York coroner ruled to be suicide, after being charged with child sex trafficking.

He was a billionaire hedge fund manager who befriended countless celebrities including Donald Trump and Bill Clinton.

Epstein was convicted in 2008 of paying young girls for sex massages at his Florida mansion, but only served 13 months in prison after making a deal with the then prosecutor.

Andrew has rarely been seen in public since he was forced to leave the royal frontline later that year for not distancing himself from the disgraced financier.

Tuesday’s hearing will begin at 10:00 a.m. (3:00 p.m. GMT) and will be held by video conference.

Lawyers for Andrews have accused Giuffre of seeking to profit from a “baseless trial”.

Their attempts to halt the progress of the trial on the grounds that Giuffre now lives in Australia were rejected by Kaplan on Friday.

Giuffre’s lawyers have asked Andrew to turn over a medical record proving he is unable to sweat.

In a disastrous 2019 interview with the BBC, the royal denied Giuffre’s claim that they shared a sweaty dance at a London nightclub, claiming that at the time he couldn’t sweat in due to a condition linked to having fought in the Falklands War in 1982.

In November, Kaplan said the sexual assault trial could go to a New York jury in late 2022.

(Except for the title, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and is posted from a syndicated feed.)

.

Leave a Comment