Newly appointed Toronto councilor resigns after controversial social media posts overhaul

A newly settled councilor in Toronto has resigned after her old social media posts, which appear to display homophobic content, were discovered hours after her appointment.

Rosemarie Bryan was named by city council as the new councilor for Ward 1 – Etobicoke North at a special meeting on Friday, filling the vacancy left by Michael Ford, who ran in the June provincial election and won.

After his appointment, however, Bryan’s allegations past social media activitieswhich appears to show that she was sharing anti-LGBTQ content, have come to light.

Friday was the start of the Pride Toronto festival weekend, which includes the return of the Pride Parade to downtown streets on Sunday after a two-year hiatus.

Several councilors posted on social media that they had known about Bryan’s messages, they would not have voted for her to take the seat.

“A majority of advisers would never have it (this way) if this information had been presented. We relied too much on the recommendation made by the former adviser,” the adviser said. Mike Layton tweeted.

“We need to reopen this debate.”

Of the 23 councilors who voted, 21 voted for Bryan, including Mayor John Tory.

Com. Josh Matlow, one of two councilors who did not vote for Bryan, called for his resignation, Tweeter that he doesn’t believe that “anyone who supports hate and bigotry should be a Toronto city councilor or hold public office for that matter. It’s shameful”.

On Friday evening, Bryan released a statement announcing that she is stepping down, saying it is the best way to continue serving those who love and support her in Etobicoke North.

Bryan said she was devastated that her past online posts were “thrown up against my decades of community involvement.”

“I recognize councilors were unaware of these posts prior to today’s discussion and now that they are, I recognize that many would not have voted for me. I don’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings. who have supported me and I remain committed to helping my community in any way I can,” she said.

In a statement, Tory said that while Bryan made a “strong case” to the board for his nomination, his past social media posts were “not acceptable.”

“I totally disagree with any homophobic or transphobic views. I absolutely support our 2SLGBTQ+ residents. City councilors are expected to lead by example when it comes to consistency with our shared values,” Tory said.

“I would not have voted for this nomination had I been aware of these positions and I know that is the sentiment of the vast majority of the board who also voted today.”

He said it was appropriate for Bryan to step down.

“The upheaval this has caused to everyone involved is extremely unfortunate. It is especially unfortunate on the very weekend when we are celebrating the progress we have made together,” Tory said, adding that he had asked staff to review the entire appointment process.

Leave a Comment