NRL 2022: North Queensland Cowboys win, Chad Townsend Mic’d up, Cowboys late win, Valentine Holmes try, Todd Payten coach, news, results

An extraordinary new video has revealed what really happened when a Cowboys star gave an NRL referee a lesson on the rules.

New insight into Cowboys star Chad Townsend has revealed exactly what happened in a bizarre incident that left referee Gerard Sutton facing red in the clash with Manly on Friday night.

In the 37th minute, Daly Cherry-Evans appeared to pass the ball to Kieran Foran, with the ball ricocheting off the Cowboys.

Referee Sutton awarded the scrum to Manly, however, several Cowboys players called for a captain’s challenge, prompting Sutton to wave to the bunker for a look.

Townsend, who was mic for Fox League’s Benji, immediately jumped in.

Full footage of the incident aired Monday evening.

Stream every game from every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership season live and ad-free during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try it free for 14 days now.

“Who, who called it sir?” The captain calls him, I didn’t call him, I didn’t talk to you,” Townsend challenges into the microphone.

“I say it must come from the captain sir, it is the call, it is the rule, it comes from the captain who is the rule.

“I had three guys calling it there buddy and I thought you were one of them,” Sutton said.

“Mate a thought is not how it works, you come to me, you ask me or Jason (Taumalolo).

“I thought it was,” Sutton replied before motioning to the Bunker.

“Sorry Bucky (Butler), Chad didn’t call him, other guys called him,” Sutton told the Bunker referee, heard during Fox League coverage.

Vision then moves on to Townsend to tell his team about the confusion.

“It’s from me or Jason and he didn’t call it.

“He thinks it’s from you.”

Townsend was his animated best in the Cowboys’ stunning 28-26 victory.

The Cowboys got off to a slow start, with Christian Tuipulotu and Reuben Garrick scoring Manly’s first downs.

But that didn’t dampen the spirit of Townsend, who sensed the momentum would change when his team consistently got their hands on the ball.

“What we’re doing now is reducing our focus, two minutes, defending one and finishing one,” Townsend said as his teammates replied “yeah” in unison.

“Boys, they got all the ball, I’m telling you to stick with us, we’ll get our fair share of the ball.”

The Cowboys found themselves trailing 26-12 with just eight minutes remaining and attempts from Reece Robson and Connely Lemuelu brought the score within two points.

But in an instant young gun Jeremiah Nanai would like to forget, the ball went straight through his hands and hit the ground.

“Get up mate, let’s go, next job, let’s go, we got you, we got you, jog, let’s go,” Townsend told Nanai after the mistake.

The Maroons fire Valentine Holmes on the score with a final four-pointer to give the Cowboys a two-point lead, but for Townsend his job wasn’t done.

At the last minute, the Sea Eagles were awarded a penalty, putting the ball into touchdown for a final play.

Townsend sensed what was happening before any of his teammates and was captured saying “two-point field goal, two-point field goal”.

The marquee rookie was then the first man in line to attempt to charge Cherry-Evans’ field goal attempt, before screaming in relief once the final siren sounded.

“Oh my god I love this game, oh my god man,” Townsend said.

Originally published as New video shows what really happened before NRL referee apologizes

Leave a Comment