NSW braces for a week of rain as deadly Queensland storms head south

A man died in record-breaking rain that hit Queensland. The 1,200 km-long storm front is heading south, with a week of wet weather forecast for NSW.

As a deadly former cyclone submerged eastern Queensland in record-breaking flooding and rains, killing one man, another braces off the coast, part of a 1,200-mile-long storm front that will result in wetter weather across NSW.

The former tropical cyclone Seth ravaged far north Queensland, with some areas receiving one meter of rain in 48 hours – the heaviest falls on record.

The body of a 22-year-old man on the Sunshine Coast was discovered in a ute Saturday morning after it was allegedly washed away on Cherry Tree Road in Kanigan, near the Bruce Highway.

Queensland state emergency service officials have received more than 700 calls for help, as 31 ‘fast water’ rescues – carried out in the raging flood waters – have been launched.

Queensland Deputy Police Commissioner Steve Gollschewski underlined the gravity of the “evolving” situation, saying a series of rescues had already been carried out.

“We have seen a large number of people already trapped and a significant number of rescues,” he said.

Twenty-three people in 11 vehicles have been reported in distress so far, with authorities able to verify the safety of eight of them.

Four people rescued from the vehicles were taken to Bundaberg hospital.

However, due to difficult access to some areas, emergency teams were unable to reach 15 people and their conditions remain unknown.

The Bureau of Meteorology said there had been major flooding in the Wide Bay and Burnett areas north of Brisbane, causing highways to close and cutting off some towns. As the sun shone in Sydney on Saturday, Bureau of Meteorology senior meteorologist Dean Narramore said rain was expected across most of the state every day next week as the La Nina phenomenon continued to bring wet weather and storms.

Marodian near Gympie received rainfall of over 670mm in the 24 hours to 9am – of which 650mm in just 12 hours – with many other areas receiving at least 300mm.

The heights of the rivers have been pushed up to 16.75 meters.

Maryborough residents received an emergency alert for major flooding in the Mary River expected to exceed nine meters on Sunday morning as the rain continued to fall.

Construction of a CBD flood barrier was underway in Maryborough on Saturday afternoon.

Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Laura Boekel said most of the rains were “very localized” between Gympie and Tiaro, describing the intensity of the falls as “incredibly rare”.

“We very rarely see thunderstorms staying put for such a long period of time,” she said.

“They saw over 600 millimeters in 12 hours, so a really extraordinary amount of precipitation in a short period of time.”

A low pressure system is also expected to develop in the monsoon trough off the east coast of Queensland, which was once Cyclone Seth, and it is possible that it will turn into another tropical cyclone.

The storm front stretches from Queensland at Brewarrina in the south to Griffith, Canberra and Albury in New South Wales.

As the sun shone in Sydney on Saturday, Bureau of Meteorology senior meteorologist Dean Narramore said rain was expected across most of the state each day next week, as the La Nina phenomenon continued to grow. generate wet weather and storms.

“We expect showers and storms in eastern New South Wales on Sunday, which will spread west and south throughout the week,” he said.

“It will be another week of rain over large parts of NSW, and every day we could see thunderstorms as we have this wet, damp, cloudy, stormy continuation.”

A heavy storm on Friday evening brought widespread rain across the state, with Blacktown recording 35mm of rain over a 24-hour period and 77mm in Walgett, northwest New South Wales, more than the city’s average monthly precipitation.

The rugged weather in NSW over the past month has proved tragic, with a swimmer on Saturday discovering the body of a man who went missing in a storm in Bathurst on Christmas Day.

The man was with a group of people on a boat at the Ben Chifley Dam on December 25, when he told his friends he was going to swim about 300m to shore.

A thunderstorm hit the area soon after and the man disappeared underwater.

A major research was launched for several days before being put on hold.

– Additional reports Holly Hales

Do you have a tip? Send an email to weekendtele@news.com.au

Originally posted as NSW braces for a week of rain as deadly Queensland storms head south


Leave a Comment