Ontario COVID-19 hospitalizations climb to nearly 4,000

Ontario has set another record for the most people hospitalized with COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic.

Health officials reported on Saturday that 3,957 people tested positive for COVID-19 in hospital, an increase of 143 over the past 24 hours. That number is up from 2,594 hospitalizations a week ago.

The province says 558 people are being treated in intensive care, up from 527 on Friday.

The province said 53% of hospitalizations are people hospitalized primarily due to COVID-19, while the remaining 47% were admitted for other reasons but have now tested positive for the virus.

Ontario also added 10,732 new COVID-19 infections today, but that number is an underestimate of the true number of cases due to testing restrictions.

In the past 24 hours, the test positivity rate in the province was 24.8%.

According to the government, there have been 43 deaths linked to COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths since the start of the pandemic to 10,565.

In total, there have been 937,636 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ontario, including deaths and recoveries.

In the Greater Toronto Area, authorities reported 2,045 new cases in Toronto, 1,533 new cases in Peel Region, 868 new cases in York Region, 986 new cases in Durham Region and 627 new cases in Halton Region.

Authorities reported 508 new cases in Waterloo Region and 466 new cases in Ottawa.

Ontario has reported 277 resident cases and 89 staff cases in long-term care facilities across the province. He also noted that three of the 10 reported deaths were long-term care residents.

Officials said at least 417 long-term care homes are currently dealing with an outbreak of COVID-19.

.

Leave a Comment