Let’s say you smoke marijuana – maybe for the first time. What do you do if you just don’t like it?
Maybe you tried it and didn’t get high. If this is your first time using THC, this could be it. It sometimes takes two or three tries to integrate the human cannabinoid receptors and reach their maximum capacity.
Another reason not to feel the buzz is that you just can’t recognize it’s happening. Some people expect it to feel like they’re drunk or like some other drug they might have taken. The marijuana high can be subtle and affect you in unexpected ways. For example, instead of getting loud and noisy, you might suddenly be fascinated by the weaving of your clothes or the taste of the best peach you’ve ever eaten.
Another reason you might not feel high is that you have a weed. This happens less often these days, but it is a possibility. Or you may not have taken or smoked enough. Wait a bit and see what develops. Do not rush to take more and more. For one, your high may have been delayed and the extra THC in your system will make you way too high. If you’re still not getting high, maybe it wasn’t meant to be. Try again on another occasion.
If you’re high and you don’t like the feeling, you might not care about that feeling of getting a little out of control, drifting, and falling into a time warp. Other feelings can be anxiety or paranoia, which can be very serious. However, these feelings can be managed by employing one or more of the following strategies:
1. Go to sleep. Chances are, when you wake up, you won’t be stoned anymore, or at least not as stoned as you used to be. You can sleep for a very long time and that’s normal. You may also have strange dreams. But aren’t all dreams a little weird?
2. Relax and know it will be over soon. The peak of a smoked or vaped marijuana high comes just minutes after ingestion, and it’s a slow decline from there. If you ate it, the experience will last longer, maybe six hours or more, but in the end, you will slowly come back down.
3. Go to the bathroom. Unless you are in a really strange place, everything there will be very familiar to you and the solitude might relax you. Maybe there will be plenty of fresh white china and you can rub your hands on it. Maybe you can open a faucet and listen to the water. Don’t be surprised if someone knocks on the door asking why you’ve been there so long.
If it’s your own bathroom, a long, warm, relaxing soak might be just what you need. Chances are you won’t pass out and drown in the tub. And no matter how much you might want to think about this possibility, you can’t swirl down the drain with the water. (If there is a bidet inside, consider that you may have transported it to France.)
4. Speaking of water, if you’re near a lake, river or stream, go sit and watch the water flow. Science tells us that looking and listening to water induces a flood of neurochemicals that relax us. That’s why we love the beach so much or find the fishing to be so meditative, even when no fish are caught. If you become fascinated by this idea, check out the book Blue Mind: The Startling Science Showing How Being Near, In, On, or Under Water Can Make You Happier, Healthier, More Connected, and Better at What You Do.
Water is a very powerful force and affects the human psyche in mysterious and generally good ways.
5. Listen to music you like. Like water, music affects us powerfully and deeply. It improves your mood, relieves symptoms of depression, inspires you and entertains you. While listening to music, you could try dancing. Being part of a group doing the electric slide can give you a sense of organic integrity with the rest of humanity. If you don’t like music or dancing, then maybe you should leave marijuana alone.
6. Find your friend who gave you the marijuana and let them know how you feel. Maybe you should all take a long walk together in the park. As you commune with nature, not only will the natural environment be soothing, but the physical exertion will help your body settle into a familiar rhythm and get you out of your head.
7. Eat something really good. They don’t call it comfort food for nothing. You will find the good taste of food and the well-being provided by a full stomach. Hot, freshly baked goods are some of the most comforting things you can eat.
8. If you have a hobby like stamp collecting or building ships out of bottles or mixing music in your basement studio – something that gets you lost in the details for hours – then do it. You’ll probably forget you’re stoned.
9. Sometimes you just have to get by. Remember, no one has ever died from a marijuana overdose, and you haven’t irreparably damaged your blood circulation, your body, or your brain.
10. There’s always physical contact, like holding hands, hugging a friend, or getting a massage. These warm, physical assurances of human connection might be just what you need. Sex may be appropriate at some point, but if you don’t feel in your comfort zone, trying something sexual could bring up issues you don’t want to deal with right now.
Before trying anything new, especially anything involving concentrates or extracts, be sure to read the information on the package. Remember, you shouldn’t eat the whole 100mg THC chocolate bar at once. (Aim for 10 mg or less, and increase from there after waiting about an hour.)
Cannabis is a beautiful thing that affects different people in different ways and varies from situation to situation. Be safe, be with friends and be well.