Settlement between Epstein and accuser made public in Prince Andrew’s case

A woman who sued Prince Andrew for sexual abuse agreed in a 2009 civil settlement with Jeffrey Epstein to restrictions on her ability to prosecute others, language that could potentially impact the prosecution of the trial against the prince.

The settlement was made public Monday as part of Virginia Giuffre’s 2021 civil lawsuit against Andrew, whom she accuses of forcing her to have sex two decades ago when she was 17. Andrew denied the accusation and said Giuffre’s deal with Epstein in 2009 shielded him from liability.

The deal also called for Giuffre, also known as Virginia Roberts, to be paid US $ 500,000.

It will now be up to US District Judge Lewis Kaplan to decide whether this clause in the 2009 settlement protecting others from liability prevents Giuffre from suing Andrew. The litigation is still in its early stages and Kaplan has said it could go to trial between September and December 2022 if a settlement is not found.

A hearing on Andrew’s motion to dismiss the lawsuit is scheduled for Tuesday.

U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan, shown in a 2013 courtroom sketch, is tasked with deciding whether Giuffre is barred from prosecuting Prince Andrew over a clause in a 2009 settlement she reached with Epstein protecting others from liability. (Jane Rosenberg / Reuters)

Giuffre sued Epstein in May 2009, alleging he sexually assaulted her in 1998 when she was 15. She also stated that she was to “be sexually exploited by [Epstein’s] adult male peers, including royalty, politicians, academics “and others. The lawsuit was dismissed in December 2009.

Andrew argued in a 2021 court record that the settlement agreement shielded him from liability because he fell under the “royalty” category of liability. Andrew said the settlement was intended to protect “everyone Giuffre has identified as potential targets for future trials.”

The agreement, released in a Manhattan federal court on Monday, said “any other person or entity who may have been included as a potential defendant in all manner of Virginia Roberts actions and actions” was released from all liability. .

Andrew’s lawyers declined to comment on the case on Monday.

David Boies, an attorney for Giuffre, called the disclaimer “irrelevant” to Giuffre’s claim against Andrew.

WATCH | Virginia Giuffre insists she was forced to have sex with Prince Andrew:

Virginia Giuffre insists she was forced to have sex with Prince Andrew

In an interview with the BBC, Virginia Giuffre insisted on being forced to have sex with Prince Andrew after being trafficked by late US financier Jeffrey Epstein. 1:58

“The statement does not mention Prince Andrew. He was not even aware of it,” Boies said in a statement. “The reason we sought to make the publication public was to refute claims made about it by Prince Andrew’s PR campaign.”

Giuffre has said in his lawsuit against Andrew that he forced her to have sex at the London home of Epstein’s former partner Ghislaine Maxwell and at two of Epstein’s homes.

Andrew, 61, has denied Giuffre’s claims and decided to dismiss the lawsuit, arguing that Giuffre is seeking a “refund” for his charges against Epstein and his associates. The prince has not been charged with wrongdoing.

Epstein, a wealthy American financier and convicted sex offender, committed suicide in a Manhattan jail cell in 2019 at the age of 66 while awaiting trial for sexual abuse.

Epstein committed suicide in a Manhattan jail cell in 2019 at the age of 66 while awaiting trial for sexual abuse. (New York Division of Criminal Justice Services / Reuters)

Andrew stepped down from many royal duties in November 2019, saying his association with Epstein had become a “disruption to my family’s work.”

Giuffre’s trial is separate from the criminal trial against Maxwell that ended last week. Maxwell, 60, was convicted of recruiting and preparing girls to abuse Epstein between 1994 and 2004.

Giuffre’s claims did not form the basis of any of the charges against Maxwell, and she did not testify for either side during the three-week New York criminal trial.

Leave a Comment