The video captured a man catching fire after being beaten by police. The New York attorney general is investigating.

Jason Jones, 29, with the Catskill Police Department after the flames on his upper body and head were extinguished.

Jason Jones, 29, with the Catskill Police Department after the flames on his upper body and head were extinguished.Catskill Police Department / Office of Special Investigations, New York Attorney General

  • The New York attorney general is investigating the death of a man who was shot by police.

  • Jason Jones, 29, burst into flames when he received a tasers on October 30 and died a month and a half later.

  • Videos appeared to show Jones dousing himself in hand sanitizer before being stacked.

The New York attorney general’s office is investigating the death of a man who caught fire when he was tasered by police, according to a statement on Friday.

The attorney general’s office released two videos that show the Oct. 30 meeting between 29-year-old Jason Jones and officers from the Catskill Police Department.

The first video shows Jones and three policemen in the lobby of the police station. Jones looks upset and seems to stagger as he moves around the room. At one point, he takes off his shirt.

The second video shows Jones squirting what appears to be hand sanitizer all over his body and head. An officer fires his Taser as Jones is out of shot. Immediately there is a huge flash of light and Jones reappears in the frame with his upper body and head engulfed in flames. He rolls on the ground in an apparent effort to extinguish the flames.

A few minutes later, the doctors arrive. The graphic video, embedded below, is disturbing.

Jones died on Dec. 15, the attorney general’s office said, adding that they are required by law to investigate when a police officer “may have caused the death of a person, by an act or omission.”

At the time of the incident, The Times Union reported that Jones had entered the station and, appearing to be intoxicated, had engaged in a confrontation with officers. Chief David Darling told the store Jones had sprayed himself with hand sanitizer and officers used a tasers in an attempt to subdue him.

Many hand sanitizers contain large amounts of alcohol, which is flammable, to kill germs. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can present a fire hazard if not handled properly.

Darling also said Jones was known to the department and officers may have been worried he might get hurt.

Read the original article on Insider

Leave a Comment