Third shooting near youth sports field in 7 days leaves several injured

The latest incident took place Sunday morning in Manassas, Virginia.

At least three people were injured on Sunday when gunfire erupted near a college sports field in Virginia, marking the third time in seven days that a shooting has taken place near youth sports facilities Across the country.

The latest incident took place Sunday morning near Benton Middle School in Manassas, Va., about 30 miles southwest of Alexandria, according to the Prince William County Police Department.

Police said a youth football match was in progress when the gunfire broke out. The circumstances of the shooting are under investigation.

Three gunshot victims were taken to area hospitals, but their ages and condition were not immediately released.

No arrests were reported, but police said officers secured the scene.

Prince William County Supervisor Yesli Vega posted a statement on Facebook saying his office was monitoring the situation closely.

“For those residing near Benton Middle School, please stay home until we have further updates,” Vega said in her statement.

The shooting came just three days after nearly two dozen shots were fired near a high school baseball game in Chicago, prompting players on the field to throw themselves to the ground and others to dive for cover. The shooting happened just after 5 p.m. Friday during a freshman baseball game between St. Rita High School and Marmion Academy.

No one was injured in the shooting, and police said they suspected the shots came from a McDonald’s across from the sports field where gunmen were firing at a moving car, according to the Department of Chicago police.

On April 25, a barrage of gunfire interrupted a youth league baseball game in North Charleston, South Carolina. Dozens of shots were fired near Pepperhill Park, police said.

Cellphone video showed players on the pitch diving to the ground and their teammates, coaches and spectators seeking cover.

North Charleston police say no one was injured in the shooting. No arrests were made.

North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey announced a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for the shooting.

“It broke the hearts of a lot of people: mothers, fathers, children who participate in sports in our city,” Summey said at a press conference last week. “We will not tolerate this behavior, and we will not allow this behavior to continue.”

The gun violence prevention organization Everytown released a report last year showing that between August 20 and September 25, 2021, at least 22 incidents involving firearms occurred at football matches, football games and Little League games in 14 states. Some incidents turned deadly, including a college football game in Durham, North Carolina, on September 18, where police said two people were shot and killed.

Leave a Comment