Two men arrested after stolen car involved in several alleged incidents in Adelaide

Two men, one of whom is believed to have been carrying an axe, have been arrested after a stolen car was involved in several incidents over the weekend, including a dramatic disruption to a cricket match.

Police said the vehicle, a red Holden Commodore sedan, was stolen from Royal Park on Saturday evening.

He was spotted by the owner in the Largs Bay area around 3.20pm on Sunday.

Police say the owner approached the car as it was pulled over when he was allegedly threatened by a man holding an axe.

The gunman, accompanied by a second man and a woman, got into the stolen car and drove off.

Patrols searched the area and spotted the car first on Port Road and then south again on Main North Road, Gepps Cross at around 3.45pm.

He was spotted again as he continued south on Main North Road and into North Adelaide, where police began a chase down several lanes.

As he was returning to O’Connell Street he was allegedly involved in a collision with two people on the corner of Childers Street.


Police say the driver did not stop and continued north on O’Connell Street where he collided with a police cruiser on the corner of Barton Terrace West.

Police stopped the chase as the stolen car drove through the park past people playing on the sports field.

Ankrit Shrestha was live streaming a cricket match between VXL Titans Cricket Club and The Finishers on Facebook, when the allegedly stolen car entered the lot.

“The car is coming at such a speed that wasn’t really very usual, so everyone was very scared,” he said.

“The car drifted off the road into the ground [while] the police were chasing. ยป

Mr Shrestha said “it was unreal” and changed the atmosphere of the match.

“The way he got into the ground, everyone is freaking out.”

Police say the stolen car then smashed its way past several cars stopped at traffic lights at the intersection of Jeffcott Road and Park Terrace, colliding with two cars and then forcing another driver to take evasive action to avoid an accident.

Police said shortly after the vehicle was abandoned in Park Terrace, Bowden and two occupants fled, but they were quickly arrested by patrols.

No one was injured in any of the accidents.

The car was also believed to have been involved in two petrol thefts in Largs Bay and Wingfield earlier on Sunday.

A 29-year-old man from Parkside and a 26-year-old man from Para Hills West were arrested.

The Parkside man, who police say was driving, has been charged with theft of a motor vehicle, aggravated dangerous driving to evade police pursuit, disqualified driving, driving under the influence, assault serious facts and acts likely to cause damage.

The Para Hills West man has been charged with unlawful use of a motor vehicle and possession of an offensive weapon.

Both men will appear in Adelaide Magistrates’ Court today.

Leave a Comment