UCSF top expert shares information about his son who received COVID-19 in San Francisco

Dr. Bob Wachter, chairman of UCSF’s medical department, has been tweeting about COVID-19 for nearly two years and regularly sharing updates on his views on the state of the pandemic in San Francisco and globally.

Over the weekend, Wachter’s Twitter account, which has 245,000 followers, became a little more personal when he revealed that his son’s test was positive and he had symptoms. In the series 25 Tweets, he addressed many issues related to the rise of omicrone, including the scarcity of tests and testing times at home and the lack of treatment options for asymptomatic patients.

With the permission of his son, Wachter published details of his 28-year-old son as a kind of case study. Wachter, 64, assumed his son had an omicron, and he calculated the possibility of a serious illness. With the Omicron variant, most cases in the vaccinated population are milder than with the previous variants. Wachter concluded that her son had a 0.3 percent chance of being hospitalized. “I knew deep down that the likelihood of a bad case was small,” he wrote. “But when it comes to your kids, you’re a little scared.”

Wachter said his son got the virus last Monday while watching a movie with a fully vaccinated friend at home in San Francisco. On Wednesday morning, 36 hours later, her son woke up feeling horrible, with a sore throat, dry cough, muscle aches, chills, no taste and smell disturbances. According to a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the germination time for omicron is only three days.

The doctor told her son to stay home, drink fluids, and take Tylenol or Advil. Local pharmacies sold out for quick tests, but Wachter had hidden one in his home.

“He came out (I used an N95) and we drove it with a nose stick,” Wachter wrote. “It was negative. I was a little calmed down even though he wasn’t – ‘Dad, I feel like I felt eni after my vaccine,'” he said. in the first days of the infection. “

A call was made to the UCSF COVID hotline to obtain a PCR test, and an early time was available after four days.

“I warmed up the chicken soup, bought an oximeter (97%, wow, even though his heart rate was 120: alarming) and told him to call me if his symptoms changed or his O2 level dropped below 95%, he wrote.

Although her son had her first negative test, the next day it became clear that Wachter’s son had a high probability of getting COVID – a friend with whom the boy watched the movie called to say the test was positive.

Another test was done, but this time Wachter advised his son to sweep both his nose and throat, as early reports show that sweeping both “improves the yield of omicron” compared to just the nose. This time the test result was positive. “We canceled the PCR test (now after 3 days) because the diagnosis seemed safe. So one more case was left out of the public # numbers (which makes the number of cases rising to the clouds even more amazing,” Wachter wrote.

Wachter published the news on the fourth day of his son’s case, noting that the symptoms of the “flu” had subsided, but his throat “still hurt.”

Wachter said the plan is to test on the fifth day, and his son will leave the isolation and wear a KN95 mask if the test is negative.

The California Department of Public Health’s quarantine guidelines ask people who test positive to isolate themselves for at least five days. They can end their isolation on day 5 if their test is negative, or wait until day 10 when you can leave isolation without a test.

Leave a Comment