We’ve had a huge hole in our ceiling for six weeks

A FAMILY was horrified when a mummified rat fell through its ceiling when they found themselves with a huge one-meter-long hole in the roof after Storm Arwen blew up the tiles.

Mum-of-four Amy Punton says they were left for six weeks exposed to wind and rain with dripping mud and debris unable to fix it.

6

The huge hole is one meter in diameterCredit: Evening Gazette
The desperate family can see the light of day through their ceiling

6

The desperate family can see the light of day through their ceilingCredit: Evening Gazette
The gigantic gaping hole can be seen across the street

6

The gigantic gaping hole can be seen across the streetCredit: Evening Gazette
Amy's four boys have all had to share a room since the roof blew up

6

Amy’s four boys have all had to share a room since the roof blew upCredit: Evening Gazette

The 33-year-old woman from Teesside says her four boys, aged 15 to five, have also had to share the same room or sleep downstairs since late November.

When the tiles flew, water spilled from the ceiling and part of it collapsed into one of the chambers, sending debris and even a mummified rat into the room.

“Everything fell on the bed, mud, even a mummified rat, it was disgusting, water was dripping through the fixture as well,” said Amy, a full-time mom.

After contacting the housing company, Treize, for help repairing the hole, the job is still not finished as the company says it is necessary to do an asbestos check before covering the ceiling.

“The roof tiles have now been replaced, but not until the ceiling fell in my son’s room, it was open to the sky,” she said.

“I have four boys, who sleep in a room, or it’s a bit of a ‘camp out’ downstairs by the minute, and we managed to live like that at Christmas.”

“They put plastic sheeting on it and then said they couldn’t touch it until the asbestos team got out.

“I feel like I just passed on and passed on. I understand that they have a lot of properties and a lot of damage was done by the storm, but because they left it on for so long, it has become a big problem.

“The board helped me turn on the gas and electricity – it froze, the heat was just going through the hole in the roof.”

Thirteen apologized and added that the nature of the damage meant that the work had to be carried out in stages. The last stage is scheduled to start on January 13.

Jake Irvin, Director of Repair and Maintenance at Thirteen, said: “I want to apologize to Ms Punton and her family for the inconvenience and damage to her ceiling.

“Unfortunately, the damage required extensive repair work which had to be done in stages, first to keep the property safe after the storm damage, and then to repair the damaged roof before the ceiling hit. can be replaced.

“We have made seven home appointments since the problem was reported to us and we have to complete the final ceiling repairs this Thursday morning January 13th.

“We have kept Ms Punton updated on the progress of the work, but I can understand her frustration with the time it has taken. We will continue to stay in touch with the family to ensure they have the support they have. need while the job is finished.

Water damaged mattress succumbed to horrible mold

6

Water damaged mattress succumbed to horrible moldCredit: Evening Gazette
Although they are doing their best to fix it, the wind and rain are getting into their house

6

Although they are doing their best to fix it, the wind and rain are getting into their houseCredit: Evening Gazette

Leave a Comment